Sunday 18 October 2009

Autumn Colour


Sunday turned out to be grey and damp; rain was not far away. We didn't plan on staying too long as P wanted to get back for her mother's birthday.

First thing, Pauline was up and out on her bike. A sycamore on the far side of the lake had attracted her attention; the yellow colour and surrounding trees were quite autumnal - so I was dispatched for a photo.

Unfortunately I got lost following the "black" trail through a planting area where large numbers of tree species were planted close together and a name plate planted before each set. Mostly common species that didn't look special, but a big group of Chilean Pine looked quite bizarre.

The path out this way was barely fit to walk on. While struggling up one of several steep hills I bumped into a local who thankfully chittered away as I got my breath back. He told us, Donegal has joined the ranks of "No Overnight Camping" sign-posters just like the Scots. Mind you, this was round Bunbeg so maybe its not a generic thing.

Just as I was coming back onto a known path, I came across a batch of possibly Lime trees whose vivid green leaves had turned yellow and sometimes bright red. The forest floor was a carpet of yellow and as rain began to fall, more leaves fluttered down from the branches. I tried to capture the falling leaves but it didn't quite work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Abbaye de Saint-Savin

Abbaye de Saint-Savin from the river-side garden T he church bells announced 2 o'clock and there was already a sizeable crowd of fol...